ElectroBond® – Electro Surgical Blade
ElectroBond® is a specifically formulated coating for high-temperature nonstick applications. It allows
electrosurgical cutting devices to work more efficiently and consistently. ElectroBond® is an extremely durable, black, smooth, low-friction coating that permanently bonds to metal surfaces including 300 and 400 series stainless steel.
The raw materials and resin systems are listed in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Food and Drugs, Parts 175 and 177 for materials suitable for food contact.
Optimizing Non-Stick Electrosurgical Device Performance
In the past, the PTFE coating on endoscopic electrosurgical blades was not effective in preventing the buildup of eschar (burnt tissue) during surgical procedures, thus resulting in blades roughened by the adherence of tissue. The manufacturer of these needed a non-PTFE coating for their stainless electrosurgical blades. In response to this issue, the SSG team has developed a durable high-temperature release coating material. ElectroBond® was tested and succeeded in providing a smooth non-stick pore-free surface. Unlike the PTFE surface of standard electrosurgical blades and devices (ball, wire, needle, etc.), ElectroBond® resists damage and scratching.
The SSG team has completed all of the 510K certification documentation required for ElectroBond® to receive FDA approval for these electrosurgical device blades and the manufacturer now has an internationally qualified ElectroBond® electrosurgical blade that overcomes the performance problems inherent in PTFE coatings.
Key Features & Properties of ElectroBond®
- Extremely hard surface (4H pencil hardness) with excellent eschar release
- No porosity provides controlled cutting with virtually no uncontrolled sparking
- More damage resistant than any PTFE or silicone electrosurgical coating on existing blades
- High temperature resistant; 700°F continuous and 840°F short term stability
- Will not thermally decompose during use and does not develop hot spots
- Is a tough, yet resilient coating developed from an epoxy / silicone composite
- Most physically durable and damage resistant electrosurgical coating available
- Certified formulations available containing no PTFE or PFOA
- No C5 or phosgene effluent or coating decomposition smoke
- Withstands gamma radiation sterilization with no change in performance; 100kgy for verification; 25~kgy in production
- Successfully bonded to blades, needles, wires, balls, probes, and more
- Bonds to any metal surface on both mono-polar and bi-polar devices
Electrical Properties & Custom Formulations
- Several formulations available from highly conductive to highly insulated
- Low power setting / high conductivity formulations available for low power settings
- Limited custom colors available by special order
Details of Edge & Tip Optimization
- Low starting power requirement formulations and application are available for delicate procedures
- Can be deposited at variable thickness options for optimum performance
- Bonded coating thickness available from .0003” to .003” per surface
- Areas of coating application precisely deposited; tip / edge thin or clean areas available.
Dry Film Properties
- Color/hardness: Black/4H pencil hardness
- Dry Film Thickness: .0003″ to .003″ or 7 to 75 microns
- Gloss: 20-30% at 60 degrees